Sent on behalf of Judy Bates, OCUFA President
To Faculty Associations Presidents,
Two years ago, OCUFA started a new committee – Contract Faculty and Faculty Complement – to build solidarity between contract faculty and tenured faculty on the key issues facing faculty members: job security and workload.
I joined the committee as OCUFA President because I recognize that every academic job must be a good job and that a lack of tenure-stream faculty hiring means growing workload for many tenured faculty. I am writing to invite you to send a representative from your faculty association to join our committee.
In the first two years, we have built awareness and relationships through the launch of the We Teach Ontario campaign website, Fair Employment week events, and the recent provincial conference and day of action in February.
Next year, we will:
- Communicate with faculty through four special editions of OCUFA report.
- Encourage faculty associations to take part in CAUT’s Fair Employment Week (October 24-28).
- Continue to advocate for changes to the Ontario Labour Relations Act and Employment Standards Act to work towards making every academic job a good job.
- Plan a provincial tour for participating campuses to help more members get involved in building solidarity and working together.
If your association has members on contract or limited-term, please consider identifying one of your members to work with our committee.
If you have a tenured faculty member who is interested in working on issues of good jobs, job security and workload, they would also be a welcome addition to our committee. Associations are encouraged to name two people, one as committee member, the second as an alternate.
If possible, those members are welcome to join our committee for a meeting in Toronto on Saturday October 1st.
Finally, I want to clarify several key dates for the fall of 2016. OCUFA would like encourage your association to participate in “Fair Employment Week” which will be held from October 24 to 28. Sponsored by CAUT, we would like to encourage Ontario faculty associations to do information tables, especially on Tuesday, October 26. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for materials.
Other dates to note this fall are:
- Sept 28 – Contract faculty at Ontario’s community colleges are hosting a day of action
- Oct 1 – OCUFA Contract Faculty and Faculty Complement Committee meeting in Toronto
- Oct 1 – The OFL and $15 & Fairness campaign are hosting a mass rally for decent work at Queen’s Park.
- Nov 2 – The Canadian Federation of Students is having a national day of action for their Fight the Fees campaign.
If you have any questions about these events or the Contract Faculty and Faculty Complement Committee, please contact Andrea Calver at the OCUFA office or email@example.com.
|Current members 2016-2017, OCUFA Contract Faculty and Faculty Complement Committee|
|Michael||Lajoie||Algoma University||Contract Faculty||AUFA|
|Diana||Buglea||Huron University College||Contract Faculty||HUCGA|
|Laurie||Forbes||Lakehead University||Contract Faculty||LUFA|
|Laura||Rossi||Nipissing University||Contract Faculty||NUFA|
|Anya||Hageman||Queen’s University||Contract Faculty||QUFA|
|Zach||MacDonald||St. Jerome’s University||CAS Librarian||SHUASA|
|Stephanie||Gregoire||St. Jerome’s University||Associate Professor||SJUASA|
|Natalie||Pietrzak-Renaud||University of Western Ontario||Sessional||UWOFA|
|Ben||Rubin||University of Western Ontario||Assistant Professor||WUFA|
|Fran||Cachon||University of Windsor||Contract Faculty||WUFA|
|Pierre||Boulos||University of Windsor||OCUFA Board Director||WUFA|
|Michele||Kramer||Wilfrid Laurier University||Contract Faculty||WLUFA|
|Judy||Bates||Wilfrid Laurier University||OCUFA President||WLUFA|
|Jim||Gerlach||Wilfrid Laurier University||Contract Faculty||WLUFA|
|Andrea||Calver||Engagement and Campaigns||OCUFA|
|Brynne||Sinclair-Waters||Gov’t and Community Relations||OCUFA|