Members should know that there are times when they might feel aggrieved, but there is no grievance. This is because, by definition, a grievance is a violation of the legal terms and conditions of work. That means a formal grievance can be filed only if there is a violation of the Collective Agreement (CA), University Policies, or Provincial Labour Laws (e.g., Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code).

When a Member of either Bargaining Unit (BU) feels that they have a complaint which could be grievable, the first step is usually to call or email the WLUFA Office. The staff can often answer the Member’s questions and that may determine whether or not the matter needs to be pursued. If that’s the case, the Member will speak to the Executive Director who can advise them about next steps. The Executive Director (ED) is also the Grievance Coordinator and chairs the Grievance Committee (GC).

Scroll to top