The Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association Constitution was created in 1958 before WLUFA was certified. It was amended in 1988 when the Librarians joined the Bargaining Unit and again in 2001 when Contract Academic Staff certified and became a second Bargaining Unit under WLUFA. Since then, it has not been amended despite the tremendous growth in membership. In addition, we are now a multi-campus institution.
There is an obvious need to ensure representation on the WLUFA Executive for the various constituencies – Full-time Faculty and Librarians, Contract Academic Staff and Part-time Librarians, and Laurier Brantford – and to create better channels of communication between the Executive and the members of these various constituencies.
At the Annual General Meeting in April, 2009, members requested that a Constitutional Review Committee be struck with representation from all constituencies. The proposed amendments are the work of that committee: